
30 Rock is hilarious. Like extremely.
It wins awards. It's on all the critics' top-ten lists. But no one watches it. Why?
I suppose everyone has been living under a rock, and apparently not this "Rock" (Corny, I know, but I couldn't help myself).
Tina Fey executive produces, writes and stars as Liz Lemon in this show about a show, which takes place at NBC's 30 Rockefeller Plaza. Alec Baldwin plays Jack Donaughy, Lemon's boss, and shows off comic chops of his own -- often muttering knee-slapping one-liners throughout the show.
Again, why is "American Idol" the number one show on TV?
To avoid the risk of sounding like a high-brow, conceited television viewer, I won't get into my own spiel about how much I hate "American Idol." But please someone...ANYONE...explain to me how this show continues to kick a*s and take names in the ratings, despite its rapidly-declining significance (*cough* both David Archuleta and David Cook's debut albums were flops *cough*).
Although "30 Rock" has been on for three seasons, its momentum seems to be stagnant (It's ratings actually fell the week following its Golden Globe win for Best Comedy Series). One can only hope it gets some type of TV miracle before it ends up like other loved-by-critics-yet-hated-by-television-audience sitcoms (e.g., "Arrested Development," "Freaks & Geeks")
Where's Oprah when you need her? Oh wait, she was actually on the show and the ratings are still dismal. I Guess fat Oprah just doesn't have that magic touch like the self-indulgent, skinny Oprah does.
Just kidding, just kidding...(or not)
Anyhow, in a world where this "Mall Cop" nonsense can debut number one at the American box office, while "Milk" -- or any other great achievement in American cinema -- can barely reach an audience, I guess I shouldn't hold my breath. So it goes.
Alas, let me pre-order my ticket for "Big Momma's House 3," DVR "The Real Housewives of Orange County" and catch the next episode of "Date My Mom."
No comments:
Post a Comment