Wednesday, June 23, 2010

4 years removed from high school...

...and I'm an anomaly.

I'm 22.
I'm single.
I have my bachelor's degree.
I will begin work on a master's degree in the fall.
Soon, my residence will be New York City.

Now for those who know me, excessive bravado isn't one of my idiosyncrasies, so I list all these things objectively simply because they're fact.

Conversely, many of my former high school cohorts have opted for different paths. As I perused through some of my Facebook friends--a rare occurrence considering the limited amount of time I spend on the site--I realized that quite a few of my classmates of yore have lives that are similar in landscape. Many of them have become--or will soon become--parents. A good deal of them have tied the knot or will be doing so in the foreseeable future. Most still claim Lake Charles as their primary residence.

Not that anything's wrong with any of the things I've just stated.

It's just not what I want...not at the moment, at least.

Throughout our formative years, the maxim "you can do or be anything you want in life" is battered into our brains. We hear "never take 'no' for an answer," "take control of your destiny" and every other quote in the book so often that they cease to be inspirational and are reduced to mere platitude by the time we transition from elementary to middle school.

But as corny as it may sound, i have yet to jettison these seemingly-banal statements; I use them as motivation to conquer the checklist of things I aspire to do before I kick the bucket. That list has been growing exponentially for quite some time, and I intend to accomplish everything on it. Call me a hopeless optimist (almost everyone who really knows me, does), beguiled or even naïve. It's probably true.

The mores of our society have designed an unofficial blueprint that we, as Americans are expected to follow. For most people, these blueprints offer enough structure to establish a moderate level of content.

And for others, they are grounds to declare themselves an anomaly...

I'll take the latter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you consider yourself to be "an anomaly" at this point in your life perhaps you should re-evaluate the company you keep. Just a thought...

JC said...

Many of the individuals who are closest to me are actually aspiring people who are "chasing their dreams," so to speak.

However, the thesis of my post centered around my FORMER high school cohorts--many of whom have opted for different paths since our departure from secondary school. The path I've taken is starkly different than most, thus making me the figuritive "anomaly" for the purposes of this post...

Thanks for commenting, though!!