
Last night, BET commemorated the 10th anniversary of its annual awards ceremony, aptly titled "the BET Awards." Celebrating achievement in film, music, television and sports, the yearly event has found a home at Hollywood's Shrine Auditorium and has handed the hosting reins to a host of notable individuals including recently ordained Academy Award winner, Mo'Nique, Will & Jada Pinkett Smith, Jamie Foxx and, most recently, Queen Latifah.
The network hasn't had any trouble assembling A-list presenters and performers in the past, and this year was no exception. Audiences were treated to performances by the timeless Alicia Keys (who, despite being five months pregnant, was a recurring performer), hip-hop prodigy Kanye West as well as budding apprentice, Drake, and eclectic ingénue Janelle Monae.
However, these performances became subordinate to the show-stopping Michael Jackson tribute by R&B crooner Chris Brown, who has yet to truly bounce back from his high-profile vendetta with pop star and then-girlfriend, Rihanna. Performing a medley of the late King of Pop's most popular songs, Brown electrified the audience and, ostensibly, left everything he had onstage. As he approached the final number, "Man in the Mirror," Brown emerged distraught; overwrought with emotions as he struggled to carry the tune.
At this point, his entire demeanor had changed. The mood of the performance had taken a notable one-eighty. The room grew silent.
Had Chris Breezy managed to absolve himself in a matter of seconds just by dropping a few tears? Immediately, the talk of Brown's "comeback" was tossed into the discourse of entertainment. But for every fan, there is a foe and not everyone was sold on the authenticity of Brown's denouement.
This morning, reporters on NBC's "Today Show" maintained that Brown's performance may have been contrived and his manifestation of emotions served only to get him back in the public's good grace. I, personally, feel these emotions were the catharsis of everything that has transpired since the brawl and believe he was completely sincere. If not, someone give this dude an Oscar NOW.
Orchestrated or genuine, there was one facet of the ordeal that cannot be disputed: His raw talent. There are few, if any artists who can truly take command of the stage the way Brown can. If he can iterate this through subsequent performances and pique consumer interest again, I have no doubt that he can ascend to the top of the pop charts.
"I let y'all down before but I won't do it again, I promise," Brown said in a later speech.
Now stop apologizing and let your work speak for itself.
3 comments:
I think I'll let our dear friend Reg answer this for me, because I feel he summed it up best
"Imagine being 20 years old and having the WHOLE WORLD go from loving you to hating you in about 48 hrs. Then having your biggest inspiration die and you're not allowed to pay tribute. Then you get a chance at redemption after the worst year of your life. Then you remeber you're rich as fuck and every chick in the audience wants to have sex with you and you never shoulda cared in the first place. That's tears of joy for that ass!!"
I would just add that on top of ALL that, he was singing 'Man in the Mirror', which is ultimately the song that summed up his life!
Haha...
Quite matter-of-fact from Reg (but what's new) ha.
yeah, I'm all on team chris...I never really cared for his music, but the man's talent in undeniable.
We shall see what happens!
I could write a novel, but instead I'll offer only this:
In short- I'm team CB.
Post a Comment